Friday 27 June 2014

Chapel Down Bacchus 2013

Wine - Chapel Down Bacchus 2013
From - Tenterden, England
Grape - Bacchus
Alc - 12%
Price - £12.99
From - Waitrose

Appearance - Clear, pale, lemon-green.  Rim more intense than core.

Nose - Clean, medium intensity, developing.  Lime, herbs, apple and nettle.

Taste - medium acid, medium alcohol, medium body.  Lime, apple, grass, gooseberry and possibly a touch of vegetal.  Medium + length.

Quality - Good, mid-price, ready to drink.

Balance - 7/10, Length - 7/10  Intensity - 6/10  Complexity - 7/10

For the first one on my blog, I have chosen an English wine from Tenterden in Kent.  Bacchus is quite similar to Sauvignon Blanc.  It is named after the God of getting drunk!  When grown in England, and therefore in a cooler climate, it is more acidic.

I found it refreshing and could identify the similarity to Sauvignon Blanc.  It tasted like SB but also reminded me of a simple Chardonnay.  I would say that you could probably get a bit better value from a Sauv Blanc from, say Chile for the same price or less.  However I think it is terrific that this wine was made so close to home.

The nose and length were both very good.  I would drink this again.


No comments:

Post a Comment