Sunday 6 July 2014

Beronia Rioja Reserva 2009

From - Rioja, Spain
Grape - Tempranillo, Graciano and Mazuelo
Alcohol - 14%
Price - £13.49
From - Waitrose

Appearance - Clear; deep intensity; lighter at rim; ruby to garnet.

Nose - Clean; developing; medium + intensity; red fruit; spice.

Taste - dry; medium acidity; medium tannin; medium+ alcohol; medium+ intensity; medium body.  Red fruit, black fruit, spice incl. cloves, musky

Conclusions - good; higher price; ready to drink, may improve a little.

Balance - 7 Length - 7  Intensity - 8  Complexity - 8

No, this is not my third bottle of the weekend!  To keep the reviews coming, I am posting one I had six weeks ago and noted in my wine diary.

I loved this one, that's why I chose it.  I scored it 9 out of 10.  It was very smooth, I think that the tannin was perhaps higher than I have scored here, but as it has been matured well, and probably because of a high standard of grape selection, the tannins are smoother and therefore less obvious on the palate (to me, anyway).

I really liked the smoothness, complexity, and the flavours.  This is about the same price as Cune Reserva Rioja, and for my money is the better of the two.


No comments:

Post a Comment