Saturday 26 July 2014

Hema Gruner Veltliner 2012

From - Wachau, Austria
Grape - Gruner Veltliner
Alcohol - 13%
Available from - Hema (Holland - yes I do get some 'views' from The Netherlands! sorry, everyone else)
Price - about 6.50euro

Appearance - clear; medium intensity; lemon-green

Nose - Clean; medium intensity; developing; apple, pepper.

Palate - Dry; medium acid; medium intensity; medium+ body;
med+ alcohol; apple and pear, pepper, smoke, a touch of citrus and musky, savouriness.

Quality - good

Balance - 7  Length - 6.5 Intensity - 6 Complexity - 7

A real surprise.  I bought this several months ago on a trip to Holland and picked it up as I wanted to try the variety.  It is very satisfying and extremely good value, although of course booze is much cheaper in Holland!  the green fruit and pepper is quite obvious on the nose and palate, which makes you think of potential food matches.  There are other, rather subtle flavours afoot.  I've had a stab at naming them but I am not entirely convinced at how I've done.  I am keen to try a higher-end Gruner Veltliner, now, as I understand the features of this wine are typical of the variety.


No comments:

Post a Comment